CONDITIONS OF ENTRY
This contest is by electronic entry only.
- Both published and unpublished writers are eligible to enter this contest but all entrants must be current financial members of RWNZ.
- Romance need not be the primary focus of the story, but each entry should contain a romantic relationship that progresses to the next level by the end of the book (clearly evident in the synopsis if not in the partial). The total minimum word count for a completed manuscript is 50,000 and 40,000 for young adult manuscripts.
- Entries (or any part of the manuscript from which they are drawn) that have been published (including self-published work) or which have received a 1st 2nd or 3rd placing in a previous Great Beginnings Contest or a RWNZ Strictly Single Contest, including the Agent’s Choice section are ineligible.
- (The entry cannot be published in any format until the judging has been completed, but may be published at the end of the judging rounds before the winners are announced.)
- The entrant must be the original author of the work entered. If using a pseudonym, please include your real name on the entry form below. Collaborated work is treated as one entry and any prize is shared. All contributors must be members of RWNZ.
- Up to 2 entries will be accepted. A completed entry form with payment must be received via the website. An entry fee of $NZ25 is payable for each entry ($50 for two entries).
- Alternative versions of the same entry are not permitted.
- Reading by the editor and agent does not imply acceptance for publication by the publisher or the agency. All rights to the manuscript remain with the entrant.
- Entries will be read by five judges. The top and bottom scores will be dropped and the remaining three scores are averaged to determine the finalists. The number of finalists is dependent on the number of entries received: up to 15 entries—3 finalists; 16-20 entries—4 finalists; 21 plus entries—5 finalists. Winners/place-getters will be determined by the Scrutineer System.
- The decisions of all judges are final. No correspondence will be entered into.
- RWNZ reserves the right to initiate changes in running this contest in matters that are beyond its control.
- Score sheets will be returned to contestants via email.
- Judges appreciate thank you notes. If you would like to thank your judges for taking the time to judge your entry, you can email notes to the contest manager, who will forward them. Preferably, send a separate note for each judge but please don’t send them as attachments.
- Deadline: Entries and entry form must be emailed to the contest manager no later than 11.59 pm (NZ time) 30 September 2018
Please contact Contests Co-ordinator: Anne Barwell if you have any questions.